2008-02-27

Public Maven repositories and wrong POMs

I experienced an issue with log4j 1.2.15: it comes with a POM that wrongly forces you to include extra dependencies that should be optional (e.g. Java mail if you don't plan to use the SMTPAppender feature). This issue has been reported as bug #43304 to log4j team.

My first reaction was to exclude these dependencies in my project pom.xml but this did not work (I did not take time to investigate why). Anyway, it was faster for me to patch the log4j POM in our intranet repository.

Lesson learned: managing dependencies can be hard and you should not depend on public repositories as they can be wrong sometimes. Make sure your team has an Intranet repository and make it simple to update with a good repository manager like Artifactory.

Aucun commentaire: